• Question: Do you think it is more likely for animals to take over the world or plants to take over the world?

Asked by Team Stony to , Kevin, Liz, Beccy on 21 Jun 2017.
    • Photo:

answered on 21 Jun 2017:

I think human animals have already taken over the world. Are you asking about what would happen if people were missing? I think that the plants and animals would live in (relative) harmony. I say relative because some animals would eat the plants (ecosystems need herbivores to feed the carnivores) and of course the carnivores would be dining on the herbivores. In a nutshell, no plants means no rabbits, no rabbits means no foxes, so even the fox needs to plants.

• Photo: Liz Buckingham-Jeffery

Liz Buckingham-Jeffery answered on 22 Jun 2017:

It would be very difficult for plants or other animals to take over the world while humans are around. (The only place on earth I don’t think we’ve taken over is the deep oceans.)

But I think if humans were to be wiped out for some reason, then whatever killed us will have probably killed the other large mammals too. So for a while I think plants and smaller animals would thrive.

Interesting question though, thanks!